After a week of indulging on the most delicious carrot cake (very much sugar and gluten filled), I knew I had to have another go at making a more balanced, macro friendly one. And I think I’ve done it. I know there are a lot of paleo carrot cake recipes out there but they’re also about 859 cals a slice thanks to each one containing about 4 cups of almond flour, 2 cups of nut butter and probably like 3g of protein. Not ideal.
Some recipes notes: Can be made in a higher fat lower carb version by using the following substituions:
– Substitute 2 whole eggs for the 4 egg whites.
– Substitute the 100g oats for 20g coconut flour and 40g almond flour.
– Substitute the banana for steamed pumpkin.
So here she is, possibly one of the most successful recipes I’ve made up in a while, my Macro Friendly Moist Carrot Cake.
Macro Friendly Moist Carrot Cake
Spicy and moist carrot cake.
- High protein – Grain free – No added sugar
- 100g banana
- 30g nut butter
- 4 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 160g finely grated carrot
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- flavourings: zest of one lemon, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice (adjust to taste, but make sure mixture is a bit sweeter than you would like final product as baking dulls the flavours)
- 20g ground sunflower seeds (can sub almond flour)
- 20g desiccated coconut
- 100g oats (blended into flour)
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 60g whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Chopped cranberries
- Chopped walnuts
- White chocolate chips